In 1937, B.C. Wallace, a Stockton mortician, and Monroe Hess, who ran the San Francisco Goodwill, established Goodwill Industries of San Joaquin Valley, Inc. by opening the first Goodwill thrift store in the city of Stockton. They stocked the little store on Channel Street with items donated by the San Francisco store. By 1942, the organization had generated enough revenue to build a chapel and attached store at the corner of Market and Grant Streets. Soon after, a second store was opened in Modesto.
Today, Goodwill SJV operates 15 retail stores, one As-Is outlet, and online E-Commerce sales, supported by one distribution and transportation hub and multiple Community Donation Centers. This thriving social enterprise provides jobs to nearly 350 men and women throughout the San Joaquin Valley.
Our Corporate Headquarters is located at 4533 Alitalia Way, Stockton, CA 95206. The Alitalia Way facility houses our Administrative Offices, our Outlet Store, Distribution Center, and E-Commerce online sales operations.
Our territory covers the San Joaquin Valley and the counties of Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Fresno, Inyo, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, North Tulare and Tuolumne.